Getting Temporary Work in Canada

Canada is a lucrative destination for people seeking employment opportunities and still need to ascertain if they still need to settle. The country offers a bountiful of opportunities for personal and professional development and boasts of a multitude of resources.

A foreign national aspiring to work in Canada needs to ensure of the right work permit that authorize them to work in Canada. There are many routes to an individual getting a temporary work permit and these depend on the individual’s current situation.

Ready to Start ?

Discover your Express Entry and Canadian immigration options by taking to experts

Types of Canadian work permits

There are many options for obtaining a Canadian work permit. While some work in canada require a job offer from a Canadian employer, others require that the employer provide a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). There are options available for when an individual with a connection to Canada (previous education, spousal sponsorship, etc.) also can apply for a work permit. Please find the categories below to determine the work permit that best meets your requirements.

Needing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

  • Labour Market Impact Assessments

  • International Mobility Program

  • Global Talent Stream

  • High-Wage Workers

  • Low-Wage Workers

  • Foreign Agricultural Workers

  • Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP)

  • In-Home Caregivers

  • Foreign Academics

  • Global Skills Strategy

  • Temporary Foreign Worker in Quebec

  • Language of Submission

  • Application to MIDI

  • LMIA Exemptions

  • Language of Submission

  • Application to MIDI

  • LMIA Exemptions

Open Work Permits (no job offer or LMIA required)

Any foreign national wishing to work in Canada must have the proper authorization. For the vast majority of foreign nationals, this authorization comes in the form of a valid work permit. Though, it should be noted that there certain exemptions to the work permit requirements.

A work permit is a legal document permitting a foreign national to engage in employment while inside of Canada. An open work permit refers to a work permit which is not tied to a single employer or location. This means that a foreign national with a valid open work permit may work for multiple employers in multiple locations throughout Canada. It should be noted that certain open work permits may have additional requirements or restrictions which must be respected by foreign nationals. Open work permits are most commonly issued through the following immigration programs:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)

  • International Experience Canada (IEC)

  • Inland Spousal or Common-Law Sponsorship

  • Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP)

Open work permits do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Who is eligible

Foreign nationals in the following situations may be eligible to apply for an open work permit:

  • Spouses or common-law partners of some temporary foreign workers

  • Spouses or common-law partners of some international students

  • Some international students who have graduated from a designated program of study in Canada

  • Permanent residency applicants who have applied through the inland spousal sponsorship process

  • Some young workers participating in programs offered through International Experience Canada (IEC)

  • Refugees & refugee claimants protected persons and their family members

The exact eligibility requirements and application procedure varies depending on which of the above-mentioned situations a foreign national meets.